Sunday, October 4, 2009

All in a day's work...


When meeting anyone new the question always comes up, "what do you do?" I'm not going to lie, I love this question. I don't answer nanny, actress, waitress, or advertising, not that these are bad jobs, but I am happy that I can't give any of those as my answer. Instead, I sigh and say, "I'm a teacher." I don't sigh because I am embarassed of my job, but more for the dramatics.
After uttering those three words I find the reaction quite suprising. Always positive, but very suprising. Some people give a "Wow! That's amazing!" followed by the standard questions of what grade, subject and school, to which more "wow" remarks follow. I don't mean to say this in a mightier than thou sort of way or to give myself a big pat on the back, but I am more supriesed by how quickly people will pass me off as a total martyr and sing my praises... as I stand next to them at a bar with cocktail in hand on a Wednesday night at 11pm. Trust me I have it covered!
Not to say I don't do my job well or work hard or put in far too many weekend hours planning crafty projects and science experiments. But all the compliments makeme feel a bit undeserving. After all, I dont think anyone truly understands all the fun I get to have at work.
First I work with some of the most amazing people ever. Smart, talented, beauiful, and always ready for a laugh. Second, I regularly am privy to animal crackers, rice crispy treats, and Go-gurt...as well as many other treats that make you feel like a creepy child molester if you buy them in the super market. Third, no one really understands how much fun I get to have at work with the kids. Not to say that they don't constantly make me contemplate tying my tubes, but crap they are funny.
In order to help others fully understand my work place I will attempt, over the course of this year, to share as many stories about my lil chichins and the adventures of working with them.
To begin, CJ. This kid has no idea how awesome he is. Standing at about 3 feet 6 inches this little guy knows he is destined for the NBA. His shoulder length hair, Euro-style, and ever-present sweatband are a constant reminder of his strange similarity to Lakers player Sasha Vujackic. CJ wears the sweatband all day with minor adjustments during class and recess time. As the day goes on the sweatband begins to pull his hair up into a sort or mushroom-cloud formation above his head. The only time the sweatband gets removed is during lunch recess when CJ begins to really work up a sweat shooting baskets or chasing the ladies. He then promptly runs up to any teacher nearby and throws her his persperation soaked band. Mega gross but also amazing at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment